11.09.2009

Julia Shmooliah




BAKED POTATO SOUP


Due to the HUNDREDS of requests for my Baked Potato Soup recipe (and by HUNDREDS I mean 12), I have finally succumbed to the pressure to reveal this little gem. It's a goodie, for certain. People LOVE this soup. They just do!



Find it HERE

A few tips:

*I've used boiled potatoes and baked potatoes. The BAKED POTATOES are far superior. Actually, truth be told, I soften them in the microwave for a few minutes and then throw them in the oven to bake. I'm a busy, busy, sought after woman. I don't have all blasted day to bake potatoes. (right).

*Double this recipe, if not triple or more. It really doesn't make that much and it's just as good (even better?) the next day. Just be careful with the hot pepper sauce. It gets hotter the longer it sits in your fridge. I don't use the full amount. But, let the record state that I am a heat wuss. I eat cinnamon bears one little tiny foot at a time. Just a heads up.

*I double (tripple?) the bacon and DON'T ADD IT beforehand. It is MUCH better/crispier when you let people add it as a garnish instead of letting it cook in the soup. Just make sure you save some of the bacon grease for your onions and garlic. It's kick-A.

*I double the garlic. You can never have to much garlic. Unless you are my friend Jen who sweats garlic for a week after any amount of consumption. So, double the garlic-excepting Jen.


Side note:
This IS indeed the recipe that nearly brought the house down last Christmas Eve. I forgot about the bacon and got on the computer. BAD BAD BAD!! 2 lbs. of bacon up in smoke. BAD NEWS. The horror. The SMELL. I then started a small kitchen fire by letting the printed recipe get too close to the open flame whilst cooking the bacon (the 2nd batch). So, don't be an idiot and your soup and house should be OFF THE CHAIN.

BAKED ZITI WITH SPINACH, TOMATOS + SAUSAGE

While I'm in the sharing mood, this is another AWESOME recipe I tried a few weeks ago. It is seriously KICK A.


Find it HERE
(image via stephmodo)

I used ALL of her suggestions and wouldn't have changed ONE DARN THING. Oh, I used all MILD sausage (see my aversion to SPICY above) and maybe added a bit more than it called for. Jeff LOVED it. The kids LOVED it, and it was stupendous the next day as well.

Good day.

19 comments:

Amy H said...

Woo Hoo! Let me just be the first of the hundreds to say yay & thanks! I've only been on here 2 or 3 or 4 times a day since what, Halloween checking. Not a stalker or anything, just kind of a recipe "whore"der. :)

P.S. Got your Glee soundtrack yet? Talk about Kick-A...

Alli said...

Yum! I am going to try it!

Hayley said...

oh, i can't wait to try it. but crap. all i've got right now are red potatoes.

Jen said...

Thanks. Can't wait to try them both. All the boys in our family swoon at the thought of double or triple bacon or sausage, then they get the meat sweats, but that is a different story. Next time you talk to Steph tell her she is going to have to give up the crown if she doesn't get on it soon.

Kim said...

Printing the recipes right now. I have had the worst time finding a baked potato recipe I like. I am excited to give this one a whirl.

Allison said...

Excuse me...I am looking for Tara H. Davis...I don't know what you have done with her...but this imposter sharing recipes is not her!!! She is a fabulous cook...but she has put all to shame with her recipe sharing loveliness here...if you find her send her back...Julia Schmolia.

Jill said...

You had me till garlic. If my husband even consumes a speck he doesn't get action for a month!

Leaving it out is okay right?

Holly O. said...

You have done the world a favor today.

Amber Baker said...

So the overcooking things until they are burnt hasn't quite gotten out of your system? :) Can't wait to make this. I made something similar last week, but didn't love it. This looks MUCH better.

Kim said...

One question Tara. The prepared pesto sauce - is there a specific brand you use?

tara said...

KIM-
i opted to forgo the jarred kind that you find in regular isle and bought the refrigerated kind you find by the fresh cheeses (which you need to buy anyway). It looked better and it was REALLY good pesto. The brand was Cebo Naturals but i'm sure any brand would be good. Let me know if you like this! oh, and add a little extra fresh mozzarella cheese:)

carey said...

You rock, Tara (I was also one of the many hundreds anxiously waiting...). Sounds like you and I have the same taste buds: I can't get enough garlic & I don't do spicy. Let's exchange some recipes, homegirl.

Megan Andersen said...

Bring on the carbs!

Melissa E Photography said...

mmmmmmmmmmm.... bacon.

Unknown said...

Darn. I'm all done having kids... I was hoping for a certain sister in the ward to show up on my porch with a delicious pot of soup or baked ziti.

Kristin said...

yummmmmmm..... let's tag team this. When you move back, which you must, you make the soup/ziti and I will make the rolls/breadsticks. I'll even throw in some cuppie-cakes. Yea!

I miss you my friend. More this week than ever.... big hug from me and the mexi. Love you.

Kristi said...

These sound fabulous...I will have to try them asap...thanks for sharing lady. I have missed yo blogging it up.

carey said...

finally making both of these this week - - woot! (thanks)

Angie said...

Made them both and LOVED them!! Thanks for sharing!