2.12.2009

Do I smell...

...SMOKE?

that was the question Jeff posed as he stepped out of the shower, just as I was opening the blinds in our bedroom at 6:15 this morning. The flashing lights and sirens had woken me. This is what we found upon closer inspection out the FRONT of the house:

4 ALARM FIRE:
9 fire trucks/four ladder trucks/3 billions other fire-emergency trucks/3 paramedics


Photobucket

Holy smokes batman!!! I must say, it was a bit creepy. Especially before the sun came up. I've never seen anything like it. Firefighters scaling the ladders into the top of that house. Smoke. Holy cow...the SMOKE billowing out of that poor house. It was under construction and they were going gangbusters on it. They had just poured cement and loaded tile into the garage. uggg. those poor owners.

The firefighters put on a show...that much is true. But the MEDIA circus was equally crazy. We certainly had the birds-eye view. EIGHT news media trucks parked in front of my house for HOURS. We watched all the live interviews, the set up, the HOOP-LA and the chaos. They interviewed my neighbor shoveling his walks. I kept a low profile since I'm wearing "ho-ho-ho" red Christmas socks and am currently on day-4 hair.

fire/media feb 2009


The dude below was the source of the FIRST embarrassing moment of the day. We didn't realize for over an hour that there were actually TWO houses burning. The second was RIGHT NEXT DOOR. I ran to my bedroom and opened the side blinds to find this:
Photobucket

Tell you what. I felt like a peeping-tom moron. He totally CAUGHT us taking his picture. But when we passed him a little later while taking the kids to school he smiled and waved to the kids. stupid curious civilians!!

An (extremely handsome) fireman/ fire investigator came to my door a while ago to see if we had heard/seen/smelled anything suspicious. We hadn't. Jeff was in the shower and I was dreaming of cake, at the time in question. I was still in my red ho-ho socks. And it's still day four- just for the record.

It's arson, according to handsome fire investigator. And apparently these A HOLES like to come back around and survey the damage they have caused, so best be keeping an eye out for any suspicious activity. Who new owning opera glasses(tiny binocuars, for those non-artsy/nerdy) would come in handy OUTSIDE of the theater? I'll be getting my Nancy Drew on.

18 comments:

Holly O. said...

Damn woman!!!!!

Jennifer Redfearn said...

That totally sucks! But at the same time what a freak'n exciting morning for you!!! I can't wait to watch the news tonight. I hope that I can stay awake! To think that I just missed all of it! BUMMER...

Melissa E Photography said...

Holy CRAP! Arson!? No WAY! Ugh... that makes me so ticked. I'm so glad you guys are okay!

Mary said...

That is insane. I'm so glad it didn't get to your house! People are freaking morons.

Melissa said...

Geez, with all that media coverage you'd think you were housing the Jolie-Pitt kids there!!

So glad you are ok...did see your house on the news, BTW!

Emily said...

What the freak?!?! At first I thought it was YOUR house that was burning and I was starting to panic - glad it wasn't! Sheeesh!

Becca said...

Funny... I probably would have slept thorough all that. Who's up at 6!!! You should totally have a stake out and look for the perps! I'll bring donuts and help keep you awake! you up for it!!

Sherine said...

Oh Tara.. if I didn't have 4 kids, a hubby and a da$% cat to attend to I would totally ask you if i could sleep over so I could work on my secretly-always-wanted-to-be-a spy techniques and wait for them to come back.

And I love your lamp.

Megan Andersen said...

Holy Cow! For a minute I was thinking that you guys were the ones burning!! I do bet with Jeff in the shower the temperatures in that household do get a little bit high...

Jan said...

Wow! That's way too much excitement for me -- and you might take comfort in knowing that you are not the only on on Day 4 with the hair.

Keep those opera glasses handy.

Emily said...

Wow! That is crazy! Glad you are okay!

All8 said...

Wow! Glad that I missed out on that kind of excitement! Just imagine the media circus when you catch the culprit. What a jerk! (Not you, the arsonist.)

Alli said...

I am glad it wasn't your house. My gosh what a crazy day!!

Kristin said...

I can't believe that was in your neighborhood!!! I wish I could be in on your covert opperations. I totally missed my calling... I should have been CSI. I was all over being my own detective when my purse was stolen out of my car. I was pursuing cars that fit the description of this chick, stalking said hang-outs of hers, conducting my own interviews with eyewitnesses, etc. Seriously. I was literally on the phone with my detective at least 3 times a week. We never caught her, but she would have met my clenched fist had I been given the chance. (yeah, I am so tough.)

tiburon said...

I saw that on the news and thought it was CRAZY! I can't believe it was in your neighborhood!

M+J=K3+E said...

All Right Tara, are you the arsonist coming back to survey your handiwork :) Like you said such A holes to do this. Glad you got some pics because we weren't that close to see all the damage. Now I sound like an arsonist don't I :)

Amber Baker said...

So THAT's what happened! Holy Crap! That's kinda scary. You go Nancy!

Holly O. said...

Hey woman. NICE BUTTONS!