1.24.2008

Nerdness 101

Is your curiosity KILLING you yet? uh huh. sure it is. I will now attempt to give you the answers you so desire, probably in two parts. Depending on how much of a wind-bag I feel like being today.
Natalie asked:
how old were when you got married?
21 and three weeks. Just a baby.

do you have any special talents?
But of course. My toes can double as my fingers in length and functionality, I can do the exact interpretation of a fire engine, and let's not forget my dangerous leg-wrestling ability... I am very bendy.

who is your hero?
This is a toughy. My brain doesn't really think that way. Can groups of people be a sort of a collective "hero"? I think the pioneers are AWESOME. But on a personal level, my grandpa L. was certainly a mentor and a huge force in my life.

Christina asked:
Have you ever lived outside of Utah? If so, where? If not, do you have a desire to leave, or what makes you stay?
hmmm. Seems like an easy question but of course I have the ability to complicate anything and everything. It's a "special talent" if you will:)
I have lived in Utah my whole life, minus one exhilarating week that we packed our bags and moved to Idaho Falls (for Jeff's work). We loved Idaho Falls sooooo much (the job not the city, no offense to all you Idaho spud-lovers)that we re-packed our bags and came home 5 short days later. As far as ever leaving? I am always up for a new adventure. Now that my kids are bigger I would hate to rip them away from all that they love, so I'd prefer to stay put. This place HAS sort of (finally) grown on me anyway. I love it here. BUT I MAKE YOU NO PROMISES!

What is your favorite dinner to make?
Hmmm. no favorites. Here is where I really stink it up. I make spaghetti and strog often, because Jeff likes them, but I don't really enjoy making, or EATING most of what I make. I'm helpless. I'm hopeless. I'm pathetic. Dream Dinners and Signature Suppers are the only things that save me. Grace told last time I did Signature suppers that I was "suddenly a really good cooker". Nice.
I WISH I and some ability here but I don't, so naturally, no enjoyment either.

What has been your favorite calling you've ever had?
Depends. Does favorite mean "easiest"? Most of my callings have been music related. They are always easy, so if favorite means easy, choir director would probably be my fav. That CAN actually be really fun, if you can get people's butts there. That's the hard part.
The only non-music callings I've had are Emergency Preparedness Specialist (I love when they tack on the "specialist", it's makes me feel so important), and Young Womens. Preparedness was a fun change of pace, but nothing that required and deep spiritual growth and higher learning. I've been in the Young Woman's presidency twice, (I'm the sec. right now) and that is always fun, if not time consuming.

With all of your vocal prowess, what singer do you enjoy listening to the most?
Hmmm. I don't know about "vocal prowess", but I do enjoy good singers. You know, SINGERS singers. Not pop personalities or musical entertainers...SINGERS. Vocalists.
Mandy Patinkin would be high on my list for males. Wowzers, if you enjoy a good tenor (and who doesn't? :), check him out in Secret Garden. Nobody sings with the passion Mandy does. No one. Mom, Steph, Ty, Em and Miss, click on his name for a Mandy's version of "If I loved You". It's so good.

Julie Andrews is an old fav, Barbara Striesand (if you can look past the super annoying personality), Kathleen Battle (awesome classical soprano...check out the youtube clip...okay, let's be real, my dorky family check out the clip. She IS classical which equates to boredom for many of you, I know) I certainly NEVER sounded like that singing that song.
Mostly now though, I love great Broadway singers. Idina Menzel, Kristin Chenoweth, Bernadette Peters, Heather Headley, Sherie Rene Scott, SOOOOO many great singers out there. SO many.

Wow. I've so just outed myself as a wee bit of a musical nerd.

I'll make future instalments shorter. I promise:) turns out I'm Captain of the wind-bag team.

9 comments:

100 Percent Cottam said...

oh, i'm right there with you, wind-bag wise. not so much with the mad musical talent! i want to hear you sing! fun facts, thanks for sharing!

Hayley said...

oh how i love me some tara!

Melissa said...

Uh huh...Answer to my question please!

BTW...where the flip have you been? Are you avoiding my calls;)

Kristi said...

Sweet! I love that you are so bendy (and so does your husband, I'm sure :) I love that you are a musical girl, too. We really need some Tara singing on this blog asap. :)

carey said...

So fun, Tara. Oh, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE Kathleen Battle! I heard her sing live with the Boston Symph. Orch. (Carmina Burana) under the stars at Tanglewood in Lenox, Mass - what an amazing night!!! I'm a music nerd too and proud of it.

Jan said...

Oh, Tara -- you sing and I'll play for you. I loved your musical picks -- I'm a big Mandy Patinkin fan too. (and so many people don't know who he is -- they think he's a girl!) And we also agree on the cooking -- I do it because I have to and I can read and follow a recipe but I don't enjoy it. Never have. Thanks for the info!

Holly O. said...

Okay, I'm going to out myself for the musical idiot now. I don't think I have heard of ANY of the people you listed. I am so Klassy.

All8 said...

You, nerd herder, you. Glad to know you better!!

Tyler said...

You can never go wrong with Mandy. I would give anything to have his voice. Of course, I would give anything to have even Allen's voice. I think you should add Sissel to your list of women. I still think she has the cleanest most effortless sounding voice I have ever heard.