8.21.2007

Middlesex and Piano

Okay...who has read Middlesex? Anyone? I've seen it listed on a ton of blogs lately so I picked it up at Tar-jay last week. I'm struggling to get into this thing. Let me tell where I am in the book...

The incestuous brother and sister who end up MARRIED...(AND have an actual "wedding night"...shudder...) just got to America and now live with the closeted lesbian cousin and her thug of a husband. (Wow...If that last sentence wasn't meant for the jacket cover of a book I don't know what was...)

Is there anyone out there who can tell me if this book redeems itself in the VERY near future? I'm about to give up...

On to less-gaggy subjects...
I am now officially a piano teacher. A reluctant one at best, but still a teacher. Honestly...there are literally hairstylists in every other freekin' household down here...no exaggeration...but heaven help you find a piano teacher without a HUGE waiting list...frick. Will is now on THREE different waiting lists. I don't want him to wait any longer (I'm already LATE starting him...bad bad mother that I was last year...too busy birthing babies to worry about piano...) so I am going to suck it up and do it myself. My mom was (and still is) a fabulous piano teacher, but piano was certainly the cause of MUCH contention in our household growing up. I was hoping that having an outside teacher would lesson that to some extent, but I was unaware of the fact that you have to sign your 5 yr. old up if you want them to start by age 8. flipity flip. Man. Wish us luck. I'm going to dig out my cardigan, glasses, and a ruler to Smack their little hands if the wrists aren't raised and the fingers aren't curved...mwahhhhhaaahhhhahhhhhaaah. eek.

14 comments:

All8 said...

I'd quit reading, sounds a little dodgey and uh, icky for lack of a better term. Shudder!!!!!!!!

Good luck being the teacher and mom. Call your home for tips.

Hayley said...

ok. i've read middlesex & i'll admit i read the first part of it with a snarled, disgusted look on my face, it is important background information! i really enjoyed the book - but its not for a wimpy reader. its interesting. controversial. thought provoking.

100 Percent Cottam said...

i've heard good things about middlesex (from hayley, for one) and it's on my "to read" list, but i'm not in a hurry for it. the thing is, there is so little time to read. for me anyway. i seriously can't make myself keep on keeping on in a book that i'm not digging. if you want to set it aside, set it aside. good luck with piano! my mom is a piano teacher too, but i can't play worth beans. i never took from her, but i think when you have a mama with so much talent in that area, it's easy to just chalk it up to "it's not for me". but you'd think in st. george you'd have your pick of teachers! at any rate, good luck!!! have that ruler ready, baby!

Heather said...

I LOVED that book, what does that say about me, gross. No but really I agree with what Hayley said. Some grossness in the beginning, but well worth it. I read it for book club and it's a good discussion book, maybe not a light summer read though. As far as the piano teacher thing, you'll save a butt load of money, look at it that way. I could teach one of my children but not the other. I lack in the patience department.

Holly O. said...

I liked it too. Jones girls like pervy books.

Hayley said...

i guess jones girls are just disturbed. but i agree with natalie - if it aint grabbing you, read it another time. and i agree with heather - its a deeper book, definitely not a light read.

Kristi said...

I love your evil laugh! :) Tara, you crack me up. I got to tell you, I have never read Middlesex, but all that pervy stuff sounds like my cup o' tea (right on Jones' girls!)... :) Maybe if you set it aside, and come back to it later it will be better. Also, I didn't know you play the piano! +one more thing I like about Tara (I have no skillz). Make sure you post a picture of you & your sassy cardigan!

Holly O. said...

Everyone, Tara has MAD musical skills. Beautiful voice.

Lupe said...

Middlesex,hmm..a modern day Flowers in the Attic perhaps? I'll catch the mini series on FX. Until then, I'll suggest it at the next RS book club.

Poor Will. How much are you charging him for the lessons? Be ready to start your own waiting list. Once the ward members find out you're teaching, they'll be on you like a Samoan at a free buffett. So watch out!

Sharla said...

Tara, why are you so dreamy? Why? So let's get this straight-- you're a hot little tamale, funny as all get out--and now you're all musically talented, too?!

I have Middlesex on my "to read" list, too-- so I'll be interested to hear your verdict on it.

tara said...

um, ignore Holly. She is still in that post-natal crazy haze. COO-COO :)

I've gotten a bit further in Middlesex and it is getting better. You Jones girls are nasty nancys. That's why I love ya'll so much :)

Melissa E Photography said...

I can't believe you're teaching piano! Let the games begin. Hopefully you can find Will a teacher before it becomes a major source of contention. Actually, maybe will isn't as sassy as we all were. He'll probably be fine! Would you ever think about teaching other kids?

Jori said...

Yikes. I'm a wimpy reader. What you just described would curl my toes. I'm so jealous you can teach piano. I took for 6 years and quit. Can't play a note now. I'm so mad at myself.

carey said...

Wow, sounds like a good book. :)

You are a pianist too? I'm about to start teaching myself - - we'll have to compare notes!!!