Ok. This is going to be a very un-anyhoodle-like post. Believe me, I had all sorts of fun ideas to post about today but I just can't get the news I heard this morning out of my brain.
A month or so ago we heard a terribly sad story on the news. A young mom was bathing her little baby girl in the tub. She is just a few months younger than Libby. The dad came home and saw the mom in kneeling by the tub and yelled out "hey...I'm going to change my clothes I'll be right back". Well, when he came back in, the mom hadn't moved an inch. Turns out that the mom had had a brain aneurysm while bathing the baby. She died, and her little baby girl drowned. Jeff and I were so sick to our stomaches while watching the news that night.
Fast forward to this morning. It is our first day of school today. The kids are so excited. Will has his best little school buddy in his class again this year, Meno, and he was so excited. They have been together since first grade and Will just loves this kid. His dad brought him to Will's birthday party and stayed with Jeff the whole time. Will's been to his apartment (Will actually calls it a hotel...he thinks it's really cool). Really nice little Hispanic family. Anyway, my good friend Jen called me from the school just as we are leaving to give me a heads up...turns out that the mom that died is none other than Will's little friend MENO's mom, and the baby was of course his new baby sister, and Meno no longer goes to our school. wow.
So while walking to school I tell Will that Jen heard that Meno moved and will probably not be there this year.Will says..."no way mom, he would have called me". Crap. I didn't want to spill the whole truth about Meno right as he's going into his first day of school, with out MENO, or ANYONE else he knows for that matter. So, I lie and tell him that Jen saw his name on a list and it was crossed off so they really think he moved. Will then replies..."that had to be a PTA list mom (Jen and I are both in PTA)....remember mom, Meno's mom just had a baby, just after you had Libby, so she probably can't do PTA this year. Meno will be there. " My heart is aching at this point. I drop them both off at their classes (with no Meno of course), and run into Jen in the front hall. I completely fall apart. I do not cry. Ever. ESPECIALLY in front of people. LOTS OF PEOPLE, that I KNOW. I was just overcome with sadness for this little family. Meno's mom was actually his step mom. His real mom was a druggy, abusive, alcoholic that his dad divorced some time ago. He considered his step-mom his MOM and she had completely pulled this little family together.Best thing to happen to these sweet little kids. Meno was so excited that he and his little brother (1st or 2nd grade ) were having a new little sister. Can you even imagine?
Sorry to be such a downer today but I just had to pass that along. Man, I keep tearing up. Squeeze your kids and kiss your husband today. You just never know. I've got to figure out what to tell Will when he gets home. I'm a bit worried that he'll be worried about me being home alone all day with Libby, doesn't that sound normal for a nine yr. old? Wish me luck and say a quick prayer for Meno, his dad, and his little brother. Apparently the dad is NOT doing well.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





13 comments:
Gosh, Tar. I can't believe that! That is so sad. I'm tearing up as I think about how Will will take the news. He's such a sensitive little guy, and his "he would've called me" comment broke my heart. I'll pray that you'll know how to tell him, and how to comfort him. That is just SO SAD!!!
I heard this story on the news. SO sad. Oh I hope their family will be okay. People sure get kicked around alot in life. I was just reading a friend of a friend of Natalies blog, and her little 5 year old girl just drowned. It immediately put everything in perspective for me. I don't care what else happens in life, as long as I have my family. I hope your little Will is okay. That is so tough.
oh tara. that story is heartbreaking. how sad. last year we had some sad stories, kinda like that. everytime i think of the little girl who's now in 6th grade who lost her mom right after she had a baby, i cry. this is just a horrible situation. poor kid. poor dad. poor family. go into the office & ask if there's anyway you could find them. will and meno should still be able to be friends, even if they moved!
don't tell will until your husband's home & can give him a blessing. oh man. i can't stop crying right now. my kids just came in & are staring at me!
Oh boy. Awful. I am so sorry. I wish I could say something that would make it easier for you and for Will. It is too bad Meno and his dad moved, Meno could probably use his best bud Will these days. I agree, extra hugs and kisses for everyone today. If I see you, you get one too!
Oh my gosh, that is heartbreaking. It makes me feel like such a wench for being so put out that Tyler is gone for five days. Five measly little days. Give Will a hug for me.
As sad as that story is, I'm glad you shared it. I think we all need a reminder sometime about how fragile life can be. I'll keep them and you guys in my prayers.
Oh my gosh, this story breaks my heart. I'm so sorry, Tara. I'm sorry for your Will, too. These things are so hard to explain to kids. I hope somehow Meno & Will can keep in touch...
My heart aches for Meno and his family! I pray that you will find the words of wisdom to comfort Will. Just horrible sad. My prayers are with Meno's family and with yours in dealing with this crisis. Poor Will.
Oh Tara, I am so, so sorry. That breaks my heart. That poor, sweet family. Meno and his family will definitley be in our prayers, as well as Will. You are such a good Mom, and so sweet. Hugs to you guys.
Man, I teared up just reading your post. That is horrible...so sad. How did Will do with Meno being gone??
When did this happen?? I did't even hear about it! So sad!!
so what happened? how did you handle telling will? please update!
wow, that is the saddest thing. it gets so discouraging with all of the sorrow going on in the world. all we can do is be grateful for how blessed we are and for the gospel knowledge that is so comforting at times like this. hugs.
Post a Comment