8.27.2007

Rainy days and Mondays...

You are all singing a little Carpenters RIGHT now....ADMIT IT!!! I know you are. Well, maybe only the desperately dorky Hicken portion of the readership couldn't help themselves...so...never you mind. I had to whip out my CARPENTERS GREATEST HITS today cuz I was just in the mood for some mellow Karen. Don't judge. At least my sisters "get it"....
no reason for these two pics. Libby was just crackin' me up last night and I was in a picture mood.I love Mondays. I do realize that I am perhaps the only person on the planet to embrace the end of the weekend in such an enthusiastic manner, but it's true. We had a nice low-key, productive yet relaxing Saturday (the kids and I...Saturday is Jeff's busiest day, of course), church was uplifting and just what I needed, after church we ate like bovines and slothed around like, well...sloths, and now I am ready for the start of another FRESH week. PLUS, it's my all time favorite weather EVER today so I am in an extra-fantastic mood. I was meant to live someplace like Seattle (or FORKS...with or without the vampires and werewolves...:). Rain cheers me. The more the better. I could bask in it's invigorating smell for eternity. Bring on the thunder and lightening too. They are welcome as long as they keep their distance.

Here is one of the highlights of our weekend. (Did I mention it was very LOW-KEY? :)


Seriously. Jeff and I came into the kitchen Friday night to this spectacular show. YES...this would be Will, YES...he is 91/2 years old, YES...this is LIBBY'S jump-a-roo, YES... he IS wearing KNEE length denim shorts (that are now crammed permanently up his cheeks), and NO....he could NOT free himself. Well, not before I managed to snap these pics.

honestly

21 comments:

Em said...

"Such a feelings, comin' over me..." Now that song is stuck in my head. :) Maybe I will have to whip out my 2 disc greatest hits Carpenters CD.

Will is such a crack-up. Seriously, I love that kid!

This is my favorite weather too...bring it on!! Definitely the more the better. Especially the thunder and lightening. LOVE IT!!

Hayley said...

that is a great picture of will's sheer embarressment. i'm sure he's so thankful for that humiliation. and i love libby biting on the table... so funny!!! you crack me up tara!

100 Percent Cottam said...

ooh, dude, i SO love the pics. that is too hilarious. "funny how it seems i always wind up here with you - it's nice to know somebody loves me." yeah, throw on some carpenters any day of the week. i love them more than i can say. but not more than i love john denver. they're 100 percent neck & neck. (dork dork dork.)

tara said...

NATALIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If at all possible, I love you EVEN MORE now than I did before your last comment. We are TRUE DIE HARD john denver lovers in my family. I've been to three of his concerts and still proudly listen too all of my JD CD's. He's just the best...as I'm sure my entire family will enthusiastically agree. All of the Hickens across the globe shed actual tears the day he died :(
At least we can all be dorks and embrace our lameness together :)
there ain't NOTHING like a little grandma's feather bed. My kids whole-heartedly agree too :)

Jan said...

Tara, you don't know me - - I'm Natalie's mom -- and she learned her Carpenter's and John Denver love from me -- when i saw your heading, I had to read on!! Love, love, love that music. I am going to go play some RIGHT NOW. i need it. Thank you!

Holly O. said...

I looooove the pictures. Seriously, cute cute cute.

tara said...

jan...I'd know the picture of that cute girl in the giant chair ANYWHERE :) Glad to see where Nat gets her GREAT taste. thanks for popping by. Enjoy your Karen and Johny fix today!

Kristi said...

Oh my gosh, I was talking to my husband when I saw that pic of your son and he kept saying, "What's so funny?" and then proceeded to think I was a dork for laughing at the computer--but I LOVE it! Oh, that rocks. That is a keeper for sure. And Libby is adorable and oh so sweet! I wish we were sharing your rainy weather--it's hotter than Hades...I guess we'll just have to meet up in Seattle for the convention... :)

Em said...

Okay, I am a dork...'Such a feeling's coming over me" is from 'Top of the world' NOT "Rainy days and Mondays!" So Sorry!!!

Melissa E Photography said...

I needed that laugh today Tara! I love Will's face too. What a crackup! I am loving the cooler temps as well. But cool for you guys is what.. like 102?

Jori said...

I love Will's picture! That is SO funny! I love John Denver and The Carpenters. I used to sing Merry Christmas Darling at the top of my lungs when I had a missionary out.( I didn't end up marrying him, but don't worry the song hasn't been tainted because I sang it for that creep,still LOVE it:)

100 Percent Cottam said...

woo hoo, we'll have to get together and rock some JD & carpeneters - have a little sing a long. "it was nine feet high and six feet wide and soft as a downy chick. it was made from the feathers of forty-'leven geese, took a whole bolt of cloth for the tick!" all together now: "WE DIDN'T GET MUCH SLEEP BUT WE HAD A LOT OF FUN ON GRANDMA'S FEATHER BED!". okay, now as i type that it feels a little dirty. but you can't beat rocky mountain high, can you?! :)

Lupe said...

Okay, Libby gnawing on the table cracks me up! Like Cookie Monster not getting his cookies. Will is a RIOT!! Does he not know that he's setting himself up for blackmail for when the girlfriends starts coming around the house in the few years? Poor Will!

"Why do birds suddenly appear? Everytime you are near?" My 5th grade teacher taught us Caprenters songs for music class..good times:) Karen Carpenter had a voice of an angel.

Cami Jo said...

First of all- thankyou- "chris*natalie*maya*mason-
for clearing up a few lyrics for me. Afte reading some comments, I started singing to myself- "It was 9 feet high- 6 ft wide, soft as a downy chick, it was made from the feathers of forty-leven geese- something something something something something tick However, as I started reading on, I was delighted to find out the real words. (The ones I usually make up don't make sense at all!)

Okay- sorry tara. Back to you. Thanks for the pictures. Tell Will he's one of my new favorite people that I've never met!

Jan said...

Karen Carpenter did have the voice of an angel -- I can tell you it was a sad day when she died. Musical talent pouring out of both she and her brother - they were my musical heroes when I was younger! Love their double Christmas album -- several really really beautiful numbers on there. Wow -- a trip down Memory Lane! Thanks, Tara!

Christina said...

Ok, I've snooped your blog for way too long, but bring up the Carpenter's and I can't hold back any longer. I'm friends with Mel (you know, the one who she threw the meat in the bag? that was my bag), and I believe we're acquaintances through our friends Lupe, and Sharla as well as other hilarious girls. I'm a Carpenter's lover, and John Denver. And I may as well out myself to snooping Natalie's blog too! I can't get enough of either of you. Your blogs are what I hope mine can become someday. So, here's to the Carpenters, and John Denver, and dorky music that makes you feel good, and blog snooping, and hilarious,stylish, and spiritually-grounded girls. I hope you don't mind!

Lupe said...

Tara, feltc is legit. She can hang with the big dawgs fo sho. :0) Anyone who can tolerate Mel's food slinging tendencies should be knighted the coveted name of Hicken.

Sharla said...

I'll totally represent for feltc, too. She's rad!

OK, seriously, I was just looking up Seattle on realtor.com the day before yesterday! I kind of think I'm descended from mole people, what with all my sunscreen and hats and shrinking from direct sunlight. And of course, that's why I live somewhere with 363 days of sun per year.

So maybe we should open up the Atticus Finch Fan Club Commune in Seattle?

the Mah said...

Why didn't anyone write about Drought getting them down? I would love some rain...I was a teenager when the Carpenters and John Denver were at their prime. I thought I was a nerd, y'all make me feel downright chic..
That blackmail photo of Will should be displayed at his wedding. It could definitely be used as a 'Yer not in the circle of trust and you aren't gonna marry my son' kind of girl repellent. Wished I'd had that a couple of years ago. Could I photoshop my son's face in there???

carey said...

Ah, great post!

I'm convinced you and I would be buddies if you lived in my vicinity (which I'm pretty sure you don't). Why, you ask?

1) - I LOVE Karen Carpenter!!! I love that she's an alto and I can sing along and actually sound decent (well, my car thinks so anyway).

2) Rain is my favorite weather - it makes me happy. I always find myself wanting to run in it and explore the world.

I am not, however, a Monday fan. :)

Maren said...

HA! nice pics!!